15 Self-Defense Tips Every College Female Needs

1. Not just college students should know these moves but all women. Would be a great tool for all of us.

1. Andrea says:

I feel that this is a really important point which you make Marielaina.Too many women still make statements such as “I wouldn’t know what to do if I was ever attacked.” Both of the first two replies mention the point of making all women aware of these self-defense moves and I totally agree with them, so I’ve told all of my friends to read this article.

Regarding the second posters comment regarding the groin grab (also mentioned within the article), I’ve also heard this technique being referred to as “The NO-FAIL self defense technique for women and girls” from my sister. I still remember her words to me straight from her self-defense instructor, who was a woman with 5 years Krav Maga training behind her – “Grabbing, twisting, and pulling on the testicles is probably the best unarmed self defense technique that any women can use against any man – as long as you manage to lock your fingers around the top of at least one testicle before squeezing and pulling on them, which is easiest to do when they are exposed”. I was also told that it usually causes unconciousness in under 8 seconds, and in recent years many women have found the technique extremely effective in defending themselves. It definitely sounds like a technique which all women should be made aware of…

1. Holly says:

Thank you for sharing this article with your friends, and for relaying the insight you have about the groin grab defense technique. It is so important that all girls and women are taught this technique–and taught it right–because you really never do know when you are going to need it, and when it just may save your life.

2. Kathryn says:

The groin grab is so effective for women to use against men that it’s even being referred to as “The NO-FAIL self defense technique for women and girls”. I actually know a woman who used it so effectively that her attacker was still immobilized when the police arrived fifteen minutes later ! It is easiest to do when the testicles are exposed as would happen in a sex attack – and if you think about it at some stage during such an attack a man is extremely vulnerable when he is exposed. Squeezing an attackers testicles (grabbing only testicle is enough) usually results in the attacker freezing in agony before passing out in under 8 seconds (don’t let go!)
    As Marielaina states above, ALL women should know these kinds of moves moves.

3. Brian says:

The only thing I have to say is the groin grab, knee, step, or kick does not work on everyone. Being a guy myself, it does not work on me. I have had women friends and dominatrix kick and knee me in the groin lots of times and to their amazement, I don’t go down. Therefore, classes may want to teach other moves.

4. Anonymous says:

There are many men out there who hate the idea that a woman is capable of fighting back against them, particularly with strikes to the groin / testicles.

There is a very good reason that the testicle grab is taught in all womens self defense classes nowadays and female law enforcement officers. Any men out there who are worried about having such a devastating technique used against them should refrain from putting any women in positions where she is in so much fear that she resorts to having to do it.

5. Tom says:

@ anonymous

You’re completely ignoring violent women and all the girls who have attacked a guys groin because they were mad or thought it would be funny. In any non self defense situation its a serious sexual and physical assault and it happens all to often with little public concern. If you actually believe that women can hurt men then you have to see that women can and do assault men.

6. Mandy says:

I have the unfortunate experience of having to use the groin grab on a guy. I was being molested by a guy who had pressed himself against me and wouldn’t remove his filthy hands from me when I told him to, so I reached between his legs, grabbed his testicles, and squeezed as hard as I could. He went from laughing at how helpless I was to crying and begging me to let go. He lost all his strength, his knees gave out and he dropped to the ground. Then I ran the hell out of there.

7. H-A-B says:

Regarding the “groin grab” self defense technique to be used against a male attacker, there is actually a little trick to it… I’ve been teaching Krav Maga to women for just over 5 years now and this is a technique which should be in every woman and girls arsenal. We are a women only event, run by women, for women, and this is what we teach to women of all ages:

You’re going to take your hand and grasp between the thighs underhand. Its going to feel like you’re “cradling” the testicles. Dig your fingertips into the fragile skin BEHIND the scrotum. Then, once you have a good grip, you turn your hand into a vise, with your fingers digging inwards over and around the back of the testicles. If you do it right, you should feel the testes INSIDE the scrotum within your hand. You want, whenever possible, to hook your fingers over at least one testicle – one of them is enough.

It’s never too late to perform this at any stage of an attack, and that even includes the option of reaching down if he’s on top of you, but it is easiest to do when the testicles are exposed and closest to you where you can grab hold of them. I’ve actually met several women in my life who have fought off their attackers in this way and one did it when her attacker was on top of her and raping her at the point he lost control. Don’t ever hold back. Some women scream while they are doing this, and some women think of a loved one being harmed to help overcome any bad feelings of hurting someone else even if they are being hurt themselves. Do whatever you have to do if it helps.

Then, with your hands in a claw and your fingertips latched around the testes, you turn your hand sharply, as though you were turning a doorknob. Simultaneously, squeeze and pull the testicles away from his body as fast and as hard as you can. Do not let go of them. What happens then, is that your assailant usually screams out in pain and then tries to grab the wrist of your hand holding him in a futile attempt to try to get you to release him. Don’t. He then quicky loses one of the natural advantages he usually has over us (his strength) within a matter of seconds. Vomiting, curling over, collapsing and convulsing is common. Shock and unconciousness can set in within 8 seconds. When he collapses, which he will, get away to safety as quickly as possible and report the crime.

If done properly, and done with enough force, this technique can even lead to the testicles rupturing. It’s actually easier to do than most women believe, and just about all of us have the capability to injure an attackers testicles in this way – whether we are young girls still of school age, or whether we are great grandmothers. After all, if you think about it testicles are just small objects of extreme vulnerability to pain squishiness wrapped in a delicate flap of skin which offers them no protection at all from this kind of attack. Most importantly, this fact holds true no matter what size your attacker is, nor how strong he is. And no matter how angry he is, nor how much he’s threatened what he’s going to do to you, he’s going to drop. Don’t let anyone (usually men) try to convince you otherwise.