The 4th of July will be here in a matter of days and many families across the country celebrate Independence Day by having family cookouts. Cookouts are not only a time-honored tradition among American families, they are also a time to get the entire family together and spend some quality time with good food, good friends, and good times. Because cookouts are also a time for yard games, such as horseshoes, or if it’s a particular hot day, running in sprinklers or taking a dip in the pool. Because people tend to eat several times throughout the day, picking here and there whenever they want to munch on something, you cannot, ever, go wrong with having several salads on your picnic table for the 4th.
Try this delicious Red, White, and Blueberry Salad this year!
You will need:
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait Original 99% Fat Free key lime pie yogurt
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jicama, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 bag (10 oz) chopped or hearts of romaine lettuce (6 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups cubes (3/4 inch) seedless watermelon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
1. In a small bowl, mix yogurt, honey, and salt; set aside. Cut jicama slices into star shapes using a small (1-inch) star-shaped canape cutter.
2. In large bowl, toss remaining ingredients. Pour dressing over salad mixture; toss until well coated. Sprinkle jicama stars over top. Serve immediately.