We’ve all been there. We look in the mirror one day and realize that not one, not two, but multiple wrinkles have popped up seemingly overnight! Fortunately, there are a few proactive things that you can do to prevent premature wrinkles first of all and to minimize any fine lines that have already made their appearance.
- Wear sunblock often. If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times… But what really matters is the type of sunblock that you are wearing to protect your skin from sun damage and premature wrinkles. It’s best to wear a sunblock that protects against the UVA and UVB rays of the sun, which are responsible for aging and burning.
You only need to wear a sunblock of SPF 50 at the maximum since the FDA recently banned sunscreen manufacturers from labeling any SPF higher than 50. The reason? There is no scientific evidence that a higher SPF of 50+ provides better sun protection.
- Use the right kind of cleanser. Not just any cleanser will do! It’s important to use a cleanser that is appropriate for your skin type. If you have dry skin and are using a cleanser made for oily skin, it will only dehydrate your skin even further. And when your skin is lacking in moisture, it will become fragile, thin, and prone to wrinkles.
- Stimulate circulation. A gentle facial massage not only feels wonderful but will stimulate circulation to increase the blood flow to your complexion. This will help flush harmful toxins from the surface of your skin and deliver essential vitamins and nutrients to keep your skin radiant, healthy, and strong.
- Wear mineral makeup. If you already have a few wrinkles that you’re not too excited about, you can conceal them by wearing powdered mineral makeup instead of liquid foundation. You may have noticed by now that liquid foundation only sits in the creases of your skin to make wrinkles appear even deeper.
But mineral makeup is made from milled minerals from the earth that lightly dust your skin to allow your complexion to breathe. Mineral makeup foundation looks much more natural and is better for the health of your skin to boot.
- Exfoliate regularly. Just as bad as wrinkles are brown spots of hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage. Exfoliating 2 to 3 times per week will remove dark, dead patches of skin and stimulate new, healthy cell growth. For sensitive skin, use a natural fruit enzyme scrub; for oily skin, use a more aggressive exfoliant like salicylic or glycolic acid.
Bethany Ramos is an expert health writer who is passionate about nutrition and fitness. Please visit her HGH website for more information on how to naturally improve your health.