This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Avocados from Mexico. All opinions are 100% mine.
I didn't taste an avocado for the first time until about a year ago. My fiance loves avocados, would gleefully add a side of guacamole to any dish, and could not believe I had no idea what I was missing. It took several months, maybe even longer, for him to wear me down enough to get me to take one bite of guacamole. You see, I am an extremely simple eater. I could easily live in a world where condiments didn't exist, and I have a hard time even letting my food touch when it is arranged on a plate. However, after finally trying that one bite of guacamole (I think I lost a bet), I too cannot believe what I had been missing out on for so long.
Guacamole is the ultimate party food; whether you are hosting or attending a Super Bowl party, birthday party, or summer potluck, you're extremely likely to spot a bowl of guacamole. Avocados are also the perfect shade of creepy green to serve during any Halloween festivities you might be partaking in tonight; even if you're just enjoying a scary movie marathon on the couch in between handing out handfuls of candy to trick-or-treaters, like I plan to do.
If you have never associated avocados with Halloween, then you absolutely need to check out Avocados from Mexico's Pin to Win contest that has inspired a bunch of fantastic Halloween recipes using avocados.
Like guacamole, deviled eggs are also a party staple. Why not combine the two and make deviled eyeballs for Halloween?
Deviled Eyeballs Recipe
You can turn the traditional deviled eggs into deviled eyeballs using avocado, roasted red peppers, and black olives.
Serves: 16 halves Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes (eggs)
You Will Need:
- 8 hard-cooked eggs
- 2 fully ripened avocados from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated horseradish, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
For devilish eyes:
- Roasted red peppers
- Black Olives
- Peel eggs; cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove yolks to medium bowl; arrange whites on serving platter.
- To bowl with yolks add avocados and lemon guide; mash until smooth, mixing well.
- Stir in horseradish, salt, and peppers.
- Fill egg white halves with heaping tablespoon of mixture, piling high; sprinkle with herbs, if desired.
To make devilish eyes:
- Thinly slice roasted red peppers to create veins on eyeballs.
- Top with sliced black olives.
To find more Halloween dishes using avocados, you can check out Avocados from Mexico's website as well as the Ghoulishly Green Halloween board example they have created on Pinterest. You can share your Halloween avocado creations on Pinterest as well, just don't forget to tag your images with #iloveavocadosforhalloween.
Looking for more fun ways to Green your Halloween? Check out Green Halloween for great ideas. (Green Halloween is a registered trademark of Green America.)