Malawi is one of the world’s least developed, and also most densely-populated countries. The people of Malawi are not expected to live past 44 years of age and 89 of every 1,000 births in the country result in infant mortality; this is because Malawi is a country of extreme poverty.
During the Clinton Global Initiative Fifth Annual Meeting, Bill Clinton introduced a very unique commitment between General Mills and CARE, which have partnered together to create Join My Village, an innovative online community that is dedicated to fighting poverty in Malawi through the empowerment of women and girls. But Join My Village will accomplish nothing without the help and the dedication of caring and generous people, which is why you should check out Join My Village.
How it works:
- Visit Join My Village and join one of ten village teams that will benefit approximately 75 villages in Malawi.
- As a village team member, you will get to know the women and families in Malawi through frequent updates, photos and stories.
- Through simple online activities like answering a quiz questions, telling a friend about Join My Village, or joining a village team, $1 will be unlocked by General Mills and will go to CARE’s poverty-fighting programs in the Malawi villages. (There is a limit of 3 activities per person per day and $15,000 per online village team, or $150,000 in total.)
- General Mills will also match persnal contributions dollar-for-dollar for up to $50 per donor, $15,000 per village team, or $150,000 in total.
- CARE will distribute all funds raised directly to Malawi to provide economic opportunities for women and increase access to quality education for girls.
I think it’s always amazing to see heavy-hitting companies that can truly make a difference, like General Mills, stepping up to the plate and doing what they have the power to do in order to make a difference in the regions less fortunate than most. The Clinton Global Initiative pairing General Mills with CARE was a great idea and I hope you all take part in Join My Village, especially considering it isn’t going to cost you money in order to help the villages of Malawi; all you have to do is participate in online activities you’re most likely participating in anyway on other websites, like answering quiz questions. This is truly an initiative that everyone can participate in, so go participate and unlock funds needed by Malawi’s women and girls.