As more and more dispensaries pop up in states that have legalized marijuana for medical or recreational use, the plant’s popularity is rising. Before going into a store to looking around, it will be helpful to familiarize yourself with different chemicals, plants, and weed strains and the impacts each can have on your body and mind.
Compounds in Marijuana Plants
The three main compounds in a marijuana plant are tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol, and terpenes. THC is the psychoactive compound that produces a mental “high.” CBD has less of an effect on your mind. Both THC and CBD can be beneficial for relieving pain, anxiety, and nausea, but CBD is more useful for helping with mental disorders and THC with physical. Terpenes affect the taste, smell, and color of the plants.
Sativa and Indica Plants
There are two main types of marijuana plants, Indica and Sativa. There are also hybrid plants that have been engineered to mix the two. Some people believe that Sativa plants produce more of a mentally invigorating and energizing influence, while Indicas plants impact the entire body. Unfortunately, research in these areas has not been conclusive, and some people can be affected in the opposite manner as expected. As a result, weed strains have become a more precise way to shop for your desired effects.
Much like apples and cherries, there are numerous weed strains to choose from and to decide, you should consider why you are using marijuana. Commonly desired outcomes include increasing energy, inducing relaxation, relieving pain, sleeping better, and boosting creativity. Here are some common strains for each effect.
- Energizing – Acapilo Gold, Sour Diesel, Maui Wowie, White Widow, and Pineapple Express
- Creativity – Maui Wowie, Golden Goat, White Widow
- Pain Relief – Acapulco Gold, Afghan Kush, Blue Dream, LA Confidential, Purple Kush, Northern Lights, Sour Diesel, Bubba Kush, Super Silver Haze, and White Widow
- Sleep – Purple Kush, Bubba Kush, Granddaddy Purple, Afghan Kush, LA Confidential, and Northern Lights
- Relaxing – Blue Dream, Bubba Kush, LA Confidential, granddaddy Purple, Northern Lights, Pineapple Express, Afghan Kush, and Fruity Pebbles
You will notice that some strains can have overlapping effects – most notably that many are useful for pain relief, and there is a relationship with those that are helpful for insomnia and help you relax. Your local dispensary may not have precisely this list, but they will likely have numerous strains from which to choose. A well-versed “budtender” will help you find the best strain for you, given your desired impact.