Home

Saving on Energy Costs this Winter — Direct Energy Savings

1. Michele says:

I live in NY and this isn’t there unfortunately. Living in an apartment building I have no control over the heat or lack of heat–but I certainly can try to stop any drafts from coming in!!

Thanks for sharing those tips. We could all use some tips on saving energy. The costs are just too high.

3. Kayla says:

Man, I wish we would have known what our electricity bill was going to be when we moved into our apartment. It’s outrageous. Luckily, because it stays so hot in the summer, it stays pretty warm in the winter. These are great tips and I would like to see if that helps out any. Thanks for sharing.

4. Jessica says:

We replaced the windows in our house. Financially we had to budget it out and do it over the course of a few years, but that really helped.

5. Stacy B says:

Great tips, thanks for sharing! I always try to keep my heat down during the day and close all the doors since my youngest and me spend most of our day in the living areas anyways. Layering up to help keep warm instead of cranking the heat is what I have always done. I keep mine a little higher at 68 during the day because with out house it gets too cold even with warmer clothes on if I set it any lower but it still helps cut the costs for sure! Pair that with using the fireplace and my house generally stays warm and toasty with the heat not having to kick on very often at all.

6. Jess Benoit says:

Thankfully in FL we don’t have to worry *too* much about the cold winters. We do get some very cold days and we usually turn the heat on only when necessary. I agree with the bundling up part and know that socks keep us warmer than being barefoot around the house.

7. tara pittman says:

I hate when people come to my house in a tee shirt in the winter. It is cold outside put on a sweater.

8. Lol I completely hear you! In England the weather is always topsy turvy you can never quite predict it, we have had one of the mildest winters but all of the sudden the heaters have come in because the cold has just kicked in!

9. Claire says:

These are great tips for saving money on heating. I love wrapping myself up in a cocoon on my sofa 🙂 Furry socks all the way!

10. Great tips here! I am moving into an apartment this weekend and heat is included in my rent so all’s good on that score. 🙂

11. We are ALL about energy savings at our home in Florida! This works really well when it’s “winter” here and we don’t need the AC. Not so well in the dead of summer when the AC runs non-stop! Great post!

12. Erica s says:

These are such great tips, & I am totally guilty of cranking the heat at the slightest nip in the air 🙂 great advice thank you!

13. Jaclyn says:

Thanks for the tips – I really would love to save some money on our electric bill!

14. michelle says:

i’ll have to share these tips with my grandpa as he is the one who handles our heating and air but i know he loves to save

15. Sarah says:

Our bill was so expensive last month. Great tips!

16. Crystal says:

I need to cut down on my energy bills. I was shocked when it came this month. These are all great tips.

17. We live in a bigger house this winter so its all very new to us. We dress warm inside the house and keep the empty room door close. I can’t wait for spring lol I’m already tired of winter.

18. Patty says:

Our house in NJ was a 100 year old Victorian so I know about old houses. Here in Montana we heat mostly with wood. It is funny how that 45 in spring feels so warm and in fall it feels so cold.

19. MyTeenGuide says:

I’m all about saving money, especially on electricity bills. These are very helpful tips.

20. Eileen says:

These are really helpful tips. I don’t have this specific option in NY, but I am so with you on the windows. I have lots of family in Pa., I am sharing with this post with them.

21. These are great tips, especially about Fall and Spring. I dont even turn on the heater unless it falls below 40.