Looking for a braided hairstyle that stands out from the crowd, but isn’t a killer to recreate? May be present the ever-so-sultry snake braid. This braid is a great way to change up your braided look and even better, it’s ridiculously easy (and fast!) to do. If you can do a basic three-strand braid, you can master the chic snake braid. Here’s how:
- Create a diagonal forward section of hair behind your ear.
- Split the section into three equal subsections. Apply a bit of pomade to your hand (about half the size of a dime) and smooth out each section. This will help make a smooth, clean braid. Begin braiding (a basic three-strand braid) this section, keeping medium tension on the braid. You do not want this braid too tight or too loose.
- Braid almost all the way down to the ends of your hair, leaving one to two inches left below where you stop the braid.
- Take two of the sections and combine them to make one larger section (you will not have two sections, one small and one large).
- Take the smaller section and carefully slide it up the braid.
- Keep sliding the smaller section up to the top of the braid.
- Now slide the section back down to create a looser “s” pattern braid.
- Wrap the snake braid around the back of your head and pin in place. Spray with a medium hold hairspray to add extra hold and tame any flyaways.
TIP: Lift a small section of hair up and pin your snake braid below it. Drop the hair down so it conceals where you pinned the braid in place.
This post has been republished with permission and provided to Woman Tribune by Latest-Hairstyles.com guest contributor Jennie Kay.
11 thoughts on “Sultry Hair How-To: The Snake Braid”
This is perfect for my daughters, who also have long straight hair. Thanks for the idea!
That is adorable. I’ll have to try that!
My daughter loves to braid her hair. I will show this to her.
So that is how its done! I thought it would be a complex thing to do. Now, all I need is to find girls who would agree to have me practice doing the snake braid on their hair.
this is perfect for my niece she had a long hair . i want to made this on my hair but my hair was too short 🙁
My daughters will love this! It doesn’t even look that hard! Thanks for sharing!
So, that’s how you make a snake braid. It’s easy and the twins will love this.
I love this braid. My daughter did this to my hair one day. 🙂
Omg this sis such a cute idea!!! My daughters hair is finally growing. Can’t wait for it to be long enough to try something like this out!
My teen loves to do new hairstyles. definitely showing her this tutorial.
I love the braid; very unique and interesting! Your hair is incredibly shiny, too. Great post and tutorial!